Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Barriers of communication. - Jesse Zidle

Earlier today, I would've said that communication was so dependant on language, but I see it in a whole new light. It isn't the base, it acts more as a catalyst to ease us into understanding. After long, hot hours of few words, mixed together with a lot of pointing, and looking for the looks of happiness when they finally got their various messages across, I can, with confidence, say that we can accomplish oh so much without speech.

During the first few hours of the clinic I had the luxury of uninterrupted access to the a translator, the day was going slowly and it was rather boring. The translator I was using to help me then went on to help others with the assessments so I had two choices: wait for him to come back and help me, or forge on ahead and do my best. It may have taken hours, but by the end of the day I was wholly independent (minus the teacher making sure I wouldn't be overwhelmed). I was able to help an amazing grandmother and her grandchild with the multitude of problems thatthey were afflicted with, and I even managed to make a real connection with them.

Well, I've been going long and everyone is demanding me to come for cake (happy birthday me ^_^). So I'll leave with this: this trip is amazing and I'm beyond ecstatic to have been given the opprtunity to come along.

2 comments:

  1. good job Jesse. proud of you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are enjoying the experience. Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete