Thursday, May 12, 2016

Shelly Ann's Experience

Amazing, Wonderful, Beautiful are just a few words to use to describe this experience.  I am indeed grateful that I had the opportunity to be a part of such an extra-ordinary experience.  

From the moment we boarded the airplane at Trudeau Airport I anticipated that it would be an experience than none other in the tropics.  I must say that I did not enjoy the flight as we experienced a few turbulences that I was not thrilled about and therefore resorted to sleep in order to calm my nerves.

When we arrived at the airport in Santa Domingo, I was struck by a wave of heat and it was time for the sun screen and hat.  I was impressed on how the immigration officers warmly welcomed us into their country with such graceful hospitality.  The Dominican Republic is a beautiful country and the people are very pleasant and most of all I find them very family oriented.

Traveling from the airport in Santa Domingo to San Jose, Ocoa was about a two and a half hour drive on a well designed and comfortable tour bus.  During this time we enjoyed the beautiful scenery of the country and many of us captured some of the distinct land marks on our cell phones or ipads.  Dominican Republic can best be described for its green and luscious mountains.

It is quite amazing on how the water filtration system is set up with the numerous pipes in an effort to have clean water for the population which will help to prevent bacteria and disease.

Upon arrival at the compound, we are greeted by the hostesses and received an official welcome afterwards.  The compound is beautiful and the paint on the external walls is very colorful and bright.
The rooms are spacious"BUT"....... I was greeted by a "Salamander".  I am not very fond of any thing that crawls so needless to say, I was not a happy camper.  Thankful to one of my colleagues, she came to my rescue.  Thank You J...

We had the opportunity to tour the hospital, rehab centre, nursing home, vaccination clinic among other places and spoke with various individuals who were able to give us a much clearer insight on how procedures are handled in their institutions.  This makes me think of how privileged we are to be exposed to the kind of health care system that we have in Canada.

We are placed in groups to work in clinics in different locations and also nursing home and community visits.  The nursing home was an awesome experience, we shaved the patients and it was such a joy to see how happy and contented they were.

I enjoyed the clinics that I went to and also the kind of work that I was permitted to do.  I had the opportunity to do assessments at two clinics and donations at one.  I loved the assessments and the interactions with the people who are very warm and friendly.  Sometimes it is difficult for the patients to express themselves fully to me but with the help of our amazing translators who translated for me, I was able to understand their health concerns.

I find it quite moving when I worked at the donations table and individuals/families came and we distributed the items.  The joy on the faces of adults, youth and kids gave me a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment and made me think of my initial reason in wanting to be a part of this trip.  "The Ability to Help Others, Who Are Unable to Help Themselves."   I feel that I can now go back home with a greater sense of satisfaction and much appreciation knowing that I can continue to make a significant impact in the lives of others, by starting with "One person at a time".  This is an awesome experience that will live on and treasure for a lifetime.!!!!  




No comments:

Post a Comment